Collecting your student travel product
Travel for free or with a discount
The student travel product is part of your student finance. It allows you to travel by Dutch public transport for free or at a reduced rate. You can choose either a weekday or a weekend product. The student travel product can only be downloaded onto a personal OV-chipkaart (Openbaar Vervoer-chipkaart; public transport chip card).
What do you have to do?
- Apply for student finance.
You can find more information about student finance at www.duo.nl. Click here to apply.
- Buy a personal OV-chipkaart.
You can do this online at www.ov-chipkaart.nl. You need a digital passport-style photo for this.
- Register your OV-chipkaart number here.*
Log in with the details you received by post, or apply for new details at studentenreisproduct.nl. You must also upload a scan or photo of both your ID and your OV-chipkaart. (Please check carefully that your documents satisfy all of the conditions.)
- Download the student travel product onto your personal OV-chipkaart.
You can do this at a pick-up device. You can find a list of the pick-up devices in your local area at ov-chipkaart.nl.
* Your right to travel as a student must be linked to your personal OV-chipkaart, which is why you need to register your OV-chipkaart number. We will need some personal information to check whether you are entitled to travel with the student travel product.
What else do you need to know?
- You can download your student travel product onto your personal OV-chipkaart (but not use it) from two weeks before you are entitled to student finance. If you already receive student finance, we will notify you of the pick-up date.
- You can start using your student travel product from the date you are entitled to student finance. Log in to Mijn DUO to see from which date you qualify for student fincance.
- You automatically get a weekday product. However, if you would prefer a weekend product, you can change your product for free. Find out more about the validity of both types here. You can change your type of product at Mijn DUO.
- You need to check in and out every time you travel, both when you’re travelling for a reduced rate and when you are travelling for free. Make sure there is enough money on your OV-chipkaart when you are travelling at a reduced rate.
- If you lose your OV-chipkaart or if it is defective, you can apply for a temporary student travel product and be travelling again within the hour.
- If you are not entitled to use the student travel product any more, you will have to deactivate the product yourself at a pick-up device.
- If you have incurred charges because you were unable to use the student travel product through no fault of your own, submit a claim form here.