Step 1: Check if your eligible

Am I eligible to use the student travel product?

Whether you qualify for student travel product depends if your eligble for student finance aswelll. It also depends on your age, course and nationality or residency status.

There is no minimum age for HBO (higher professional education) and university. Are you going to study at MBO level (secondary vocational education)? Then the minimum age for student finance is 18.
You must be younger than 30 on the day your student finance starts.

You are enrolled in 1 of the following courses:

  •  MBO: school-based learning pathway (BOL)
  •  HBO or university: bachelor, master of associate degree
  • You are enrolled in a full-time or dual course. You will not get student finance for a part-time programme or work-based learning pathway (BBL).
  • You have to be enrolled on the first day of the month. If you’re enrolled after the first day of the month, you will be eligible the following month.
  • Your course lasts at least 1 year.
  • Your course must be officially recognised in the Netherlands. Your school or university can tell you if this is the case.


  • You have the Dutch nationality or a residence permit type II, III, IV of V.
  • Do you have a residence permit type I? Then you may also qualify for student finance.
  • Do you have a the nationality of an EU/EEA country, Switzerland or the United Kingdom? Or is your partner or parent a citizen of one of these countries? Then you may also qualify for student finance.

If you do not qualify for student finance
You may be eligible for another regulation:

  • tuition fee loan or contribution towards course fees for EU/EEA citizens and Swiss
  • lifelong learning credit
  • grant or subsidy for a teacher training course

If you are still not sure if you are eligble please look at for more detailed information.

Are you eligible?